I’ve been thinking a lot about the 10 Commandments and why we don’t conscientiously use them as a standard measurement for our lives anymore. I wonder if it might be because of the language it is written in or if it’s because in reality God isn’t really a center point of our lives. The more accurate answer may be that it’s both those reasons. Any way we look at it though, our fleshy tendencies get in the way.
I found this while searching:
The following is a modern-day paraphrase of the Ten Commandments:
- Do not worship any other god than the one true God. All other gods are false gods.
- Do not make idols or images in the form of God. An idol can be anything (or anyone) you worship by giving it more importance than God. If something (or someone) has your time, attention and affections, it has your worship. It could be an idol in your life.
- Do not treat God’s name lightly or with disrespect. Because of God’s importance, his name is always to be spoken of with honor.
- Dedicate or set aside a regular day each week for sabbath rest and worship of the Lord.
- Give honor to your father and mother by treating them with respect and obedience.
- Do not deliberately kill a fellow human being.
- Do not have sexual relations with anyone other than your spouse. God forbids sex outside of the bounds of marriage.
- Do not steal or take anything that doesn’t belong to you, unless you have been given permission to do so.
- Do not tell a lie about someone or bring a false accusation against another person.
- Do not desire anything or anyone that does not belong to you. Comparing yourself to others and longing to have what they have leads to jealousy, envy and other sins. Be content by focusing on the blessings God has given you and not what he has not given you.
In holding my life up against these, I fall short majorly. I have my work cut out for me. I am in no way, nor will I ever be, perfect. I will make my mistakes and need to ask for forgiveness. In the end though, these 10 standards were given for our well being and I want to strive to live accordingly. A better person I shall be because of it. How does your life stand up against these? Is there room for improvement? Something to think about. =) Be Blessed!